Mind Training in Seven Points
Chekawa's Mind Training in Seven Points is one of the best-known sets of instructions for mind training and taking and sending. The Seven Points comprise a complete practice, with instructions and guidance that cover all the essential points of Mahayana Buddhism.
What do the seven points cover?
- Groundwork: what you need in order to practice effectively:
- basic meditation (click here for a resource on this elsewhere on this site)
- death and impermanence (click here for a resource on this elsewhere on this site)
- karma (click here for a resource on this elsewhere on this site)
- compassion (click here for a resource on this elsewhere on this site)
- Practices: the two core meditation practices of mind training:
- awakening to what is ultimately true and
- awakening to what is apparently true.
- Applications: how to work with these practices in your life
- Summaries: two sets of instructions that summarize the key elements of mind training practice.
- Measures of proficiency: signs that your practice is being effective
- Commitments: what violates the core intention of mind training
- Guidelines: ways to support and nurture your experience of mind training
Next: Where do I start?